Lancang-Mekong Cooperation Special Fund Projects
In April 2018, Mekong Institute (MI) and the Ministry of Commerce of the Royal Government of Thailand signed a Memorandum of Understanding on the cooperation of four projects supported by the Lancang-Mekong Cooperation (LMC) Special Fund.
These projects aim to advance trade cooperation and economic progress in the Lancang-Mekong countries using a blend of capacity development activities including modular trainings, action research, business matching and trade promotion, policy consultations and business platform development.
MI acts as the implementing agency of these LMC Special Fund-supported projects.
PROJECT ON UPGRADING BORDER FACILITATION FOR TRADE AND LOGISTICS DEVELOPMENT [2018-2021]
The project is designed to support policy and structural reforms that will improve cross-border trade. It aims to promote trade along border trade zones that link the Lancang-Mekong countries; facilitate cross-border trade by increasing the capacity for commerce and reducing costs faced by traders; and enhance connectivity and improve competitiveness across international borders through improvements in infrastructure focused on facilitating cross-border trade and investment.
PROJECT ON JOINT DEVELOPMENT OF CROSS-BORDER ECONOMIC ZONES [2018-2021]
The project aims to promote special economic zones (SEZs) in the Lancang-Mekong countries and foster increased coordination among them; and boost trade and investment both from within and outside the sub-region.
PROJECT ON LANCANG-MEKONG BUSINESS FORUM [2018-2022]
This five-year initiative aims to facilitate business networking and boost the competitiveness of small and medium enterprises in the region through a series of business forums designed to:
- Establish business linkages
- Assist SMEs’ integration in the regional and global value chains
- Exchange information on state-of-the-art technology and innovative products that will push forward industrial growth
- Promote investment through business collaboration with local SMEs in the Lancang-Mekong countries.
PROJECT ON ACTION RESEARCH ON RURAL E-COMMERCE DEVELOPMENT IN THE GMS [2018-2020]
The project seeks to promote increased awareness of rural e-commerce development in the Lancang-Mekong countries by:
- Enhancing the understanding of the potentials of rural e-commerce development
- Identifying key intervention areas for e-commerce development in each country in the region
- Exploring online business prospects through various e-commerce opportunities
- Developing a mechanism for promoting rural e-commerce.
Visit the LMC Projects page on the MI website for more information: http://www.mekonginstitute.org/what-we-do/ongoing-projects/lancang-mekong-cooperation-projects/